How to Format Flash on Mac OS Easily – If you want to be sure about the compatibility of a new hard drive or flash drive with your Mac, you should format it according to the Mac OS filesystem. This is important, especially when you buy a generic PC drive, which is almost certainly formatted to be compatible with Windows and not Mac OS X.
Connecting an external hard drive or flash disk to your Mac will indeed be successful. It can be used successfully for Mac can easily read another filesystem format, including Windows MS-DOS, FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS. But if you don’t plan to use the drive or Flash Drive on a different operating system, it’s better to format it for Mac OS.
Sometimes your flash indicates that the available memory is not as much as it is written, even though you removed all that is in it. This problem can also be overcome by flash format.
Perform appropriate format Mac OS will make the hard drive or flash can be booted. If you have never done formatting the Flash drive on a Mac, do not worry because the steps are very easy. This article will guide you to succeed.
Simple Way to Format FlashDrive on Mac Os Device
About File System
Mac OS X and Windows have a different file system. The primary file system in Mac OS X is HFS +. The system was developed by Apple and was first introduced in 1998 as a better version of HFS, supporting their larger files and Unicode encoding.
Microsoft also developed its file system for Windows, which is NTFS. This system was introduced in 1993, supports metadata and high-level data structures to improve performance, an additional extension for safety, and a journal file system.
Unfortunately, both these file systems are not suitable for flash because of limited support. The file system is best for modern flash Drive is FAT32. Although FAT32 does not support long file names and only the most significant saving files to 4GB, the system is supported by nearly all operating systems suitable for use in a flash.
Steps to Format Flash Drive On Your Mac Os
It is a simple procedure and can be done for all types of drives and connections, be it USB, Firewire, or Thunderbolt. Remember that doing the formatting will erase all data and folders on your flash.
- Connect the flash drive to your Mac.
- Launch disk utility located in Applications> Utilities.
- Find the name of your flash from the left side of the utility disk, and then click.
- Click the “Erase” located at the top.
- In the next menu, “format,” click the menu that appears and select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled).”
- Give a name for the drive if you want. you can Change Drive Name Anytime
- Click the “Erase” and confirm again in the next popup window.
- The Flash drive will be formatted, and all your files & folders in it will be erased. Hard Drive, SSD, and flash Drive smaller size will be faster preformatted and larger will taking longer. When Process Formatting Is Done, your flash drive will be formatted to HFS + system compatible with Mac OS X.
What If Accidentally Doing Format on Mac?
You are not the first to format the flash inadvertently. But there is a solution, the Disk Drill. This a premium data recovery application for Mac OS X that can use in almost all file formats and storage devices, including flash Drive. Disk Drill data recovery algorithm can find deleted files, even after total formatting.
That’s How to Format Flash Drive on Mac OS Easily by Algorithm Computer, share this article if useful.